Memories are made of this..........


Today I have smiled all day at the memory of a sweet moment from over 25 years ago when I 'met a boy'.

Not that I hadn't met any boys before, but this was one of those significant boy-moments that stay with us girls for life...............
I went to an all girls school, so boys were something of a mystery.........and frankly still are....


My school organised a sponsored 3-legged marathon followed by a disco to raise money for charity - not unusual in itself, except that in order to take part you had to be in a 3-legged couple with a boy! A clever ploy to raise interest - and clearly it worked - I have no idea what charity was involved, or how much we raised, but even now could tell you exactly what I was wearing..............

My sweet moment wasn't about my 3-legged experience though - it was with a total stranger I met later - who I spent the entire evening with. A boy who was supposed to leave at 9 0'clock - an hour before the disco finished.......... A boy who at 8:55 wound his watch back an hour so that he could stay with me until the end of the evening even though he would be in trouble for being home late......

I can still remember that sweet feeling of realising that this boy wanted to spend a whole extra hour with just me, the sheer romance and delight in that moment.

That is the delight that we can know every day from our Jesus - the total delight in our company, the sheer romance of knowing ourselves loved by him - the many different ways every day that he breathes love into our lives - in the beauty of a quiet moment, a word from a friend, a 'laugh out loud' that comes deep from our soul, a glimpse of his presence in another, the sound of a bird, the sight of a sunset - so many things remind us in every moment that "God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. They're created new every morning. " Lamentations 3:22.

God loves me big and new every morning - and every day I learn more about truly loving him back.........

God falls in love with me all over again every day of my life - and I am learning to do the same.............

No comments:

Post a Comment