What do I really need?

A long holiday somewhere hot?
New car?
Less month at the end of the money?
Wii Fit?
More
chocolate?


I could na
me loads of things that I really, really need right now!

In a very
familiar story (Mark 2), Jesus gets stuck in a house because the whole town has rocked up to see him. A group of friends are so desperate to get their paralysed friend near the front of the healing queue that they rip the roof off the house and lower the poor bloke down on a stretcher right under Jesus' nose.

I've read this story so many times - and even made houses with holes in their roof out of shoe boxes at holiday clubs! But today I was struck again by Jesus' understanding of what the man really needed, rather than what he thought he had come for. He was after healing -and why not - he was paralysed after all........
But Jesus knew what that man really needed - restoration to his heavenly father - 'son your sins are forgiven'. The man got what he really needed - and later what he was originally seeking as an extra bonus.


What would it be like to really live my life truly dedicated what I need - rather than what I think I need? What would change, what would grow, and what would need to die?

We think we need 'stuff' - we need Him.

We seek happiness - He offers joy.

We chase cobwebs when we could be seeking Him.

We cry 'heal me' - He answers:

I have..............

1 comment:

  1. I think are responce to these questions are what distiguishes us from the Shane Calbourne's and the scences you read about in the first chapters of Acts.

    Enjoying the blog Liz!

    ReplyDelete