.
Never Dull!

I have just had a very unusual 36 hours........... Had a really good day in Ivybridge near Plymouth yesterday, took 2 1/2 hours to get there (nothing unusual so far).......... left a meeting at at 9:45pm to come home & it was raining in Plymouth...........

45 mins later on a stretch of the A38 I now know as 'Haldon Hill', it was like someone was chucking bucket loads of snow at my car - you may have seen the reports on the tv news today - I was there!
I discovered just how very scary it is to have your mobile battery running out, not to be able to see where the road ends and the ditch starts, and to
realise that no-one knows where you are - I felt very alone and was grateful that for most of the night I could see the red tail lights of other travellers ahead of me.............
It was a long time until 3am when the Police & Mountain Rescue (my new best friends) came to dig us out and take us all to the rescue centre where we remained until noon today - it took me 18 hours to get home!


On the way back I saw some of the most amazing 'snow scenes' I have ever seen......... More beautiful than any Christmas card - the trees, fields and landscapes took my breath away.....
But I also saw jack-knifed lorries, abandoned vehicles, upended cars in ditches, trees that had collapsed into the road because of the sheer weight of the snow and cars and vans that had crashed into each other......

What a paradox - the same thing that took my breath away with it's beauty also caused my fear in the night, disruption, distress and serious damage.

How often I am caught in that same paradox - that which I fear the most has such potential to bring beauty, depth and passion - and that which captivates and delights has potential for harm.......

1 comment:

  1. Woo.... how scarey! I heard it on the news this morning & know where Haldon Hill is so could picture it!
    Praise the Lord that you are ok!
    Guess you are now tucked up in the warm so will call you tomorrow sometime. Much love

    ReplyDelete