Quality not Quantity?

I have never met a Christian yet who is happy with how much 'time they spend with God'.......

In itself an oxymoron - God being everywhere and therefore a constant presence!

"Is there any place I can go to avoid your Spirit?
To be out of your sight? If I climb to the sky, you're there!
If I go underground, you're there!
If I flew on morning's wings to the far western horizon,
You'd find me in a minute— you're already there waiting"

Psalm 139


But I do fight the same battle - wanting to be intentionally 1:1 with my maker, and yet constantly disappointed in my ability to be distracted, disrupted and just plain forgetful..........
Having been raised in the principle of 'daily quiet time' as mark of spiritual maturity it's interesting to continue to explore what it might mean to take seriously the notion that God is delighted by the quality of my time and desire, rather than the frequency or 'box ticking' exercise to alleged maturity.

Maybe it's about resisting the temptation join the rich young ruler in trying to find ways of 'doing something to get eternal life' (Mark 10/ Matthew 19).
He had worked so hard to do everything right, including keeping all the commandments - clearly a better person than I'll ever be!
And yet it still wasn't enough - even he knew he was still lacking - what more could he 'do'?


The answer of course is that there is nothing we can 'do' - no matter how many quiet times we have, if we think that will usher us into eternal life we are going to be very disappointed..........

So what does God require of us?

"How can I stand up before God and show proper respect to the high God?
Should I bring an armload of offerings topped off with yearling calves?
Would God be impressed with thousands of rams, with buckets and barrels of olive oil?
Would he be moved if I sacrificed my firstborn child, my precious baby, to cancel my sin?

But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women.
It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbour, be compassionate and loyal in your love,
And don't take yourself too seriously— take God seriously."

Micah 6:7-8


1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz. Julie here from Trentham Mews. Long time no see. I love this. I'm always striving to spend more time with Him but this post was a bit of a light bulb moment for me. Quality time - well duh! No more box ticking for me. Take care, Love and God Bless

    ReplyDelete