Shut up & Drive........

One of the many great things about my job is that I get to drive a lot of different cars - if I'm driving a long way I hire a car, and so far I've had a different one every time! In the last few weeks I've driven a Corsa, a Megane and two different Fiestas. Today I was zipping around in a very sporty black Fiesta 1.6 Turbo, which only had 45 miles in the clock when I picked it up - it has several hundred more on it now.......................

I've never really been interested in cars, but it's funny how you very quickly learn what's important to you - how to get the petrol cap open, where the lights turn on, and where to plug the sat nav in being three things that I know know to be vital pieces of information to me!
I've also started to no
tice all kinds of differences between makes and styles of cars, and have definitely got more opinions about what 'bells and whistles' I prefer!

Having moved into a new area, I've also been looking for a Church community
to settle into, and it's interesting how this too has been a process of working out what is vital to me and what is just 'bells & whistles' in church life. In discovering just how picky I can be about what I prefer I've had to face the fact that many of my preferences are based around finding a church that I'm 'comfortable' in. It's been a humbling process to ask God where he wants me to be, and then have to wrestle with a frankly unwelcome impression that God wants me in a particular church that is far from 'comfortable' for me.......................

Why seek a 'comfortable' Church though? Since when do I want a 'comfortable' life? By rejecting the 'uncomfortable', surely what I'm doing is trying to close the door on things about church that challenge me and so waste an opportunity to grow, learn and understand more about what it means to worship God with my heart, soul and mind..............

No comments:

Post a Comment